Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Attack of the Cats

Apple may be coming out with its next OS, Snow Leopard in the first quarter of 2009. At first this struck me as hilarious since I just finally got around to getting Leopard on Saturday. Now, they decide to come out with a whole new operating system. Just my luck. Then I realized that the only difference between the names of the two was adding in Snow this time around. Which made me think, what are they going to keep naming these operating systems in the future?

So far, Apple has used these names:
10.0 - Cheetah
10.1 - Puma
10.2 - Jaguar
10.3 - Panther
10.4 - Tiger
10.5 - Leopard
10.6 - Snow Leopard

Obviously, Apple seems to have some weird cat fetish. But that being the case, Apple is slowly running out of options for their future operating systems. I mean they are only so many types of cats out there. Well then I decided to look at Wikipedia and found out that there are a lot more species of cats that exist in this world that I could have even imagined. I figured they could get by with Lion, Lynx, Cougar, and if they were really stretching for names, the Ocelot, but there are still so many other possibilities. Here are some that I think would really be great for Apple:

10.7 - Kodkod (Really rolls of the tongue.)
10.8 - Colocolo (I guess if you just repeat a weird sounding work it is a type of cat.)
10.9 - Clouded Leopard
11.0 - Bornean Clouded Leopard (You can never have enough Leopards.)
11.1 - Flat-headed Cat (This is the point where they just gave up on coming up with cool sounding names and just started describing cats by how they looked.)
11.2 - Rusty-spotted Cat
11.3 - Geoffroy's Cat (Apparently Geoffroy gets his own species of cat. What a douche.)

And byfar, my favorite one (complete with picture)
11.4 - Medantereon

No comments: